2019 - 2020
Our Eco Warriors
AIMS OF THE ECO WARRIORS
- To raise awareness about sustainability
- To encourage all members of Meopham Community Academy to be respectful citizens by recycling, saving energy, conserving resources and caring for the environment.
- To teach all members of Meopham Community Academy to have good habits for the future by valuing themselves and our environment.
- To attend regular Eco meetings to discuss being a GREEN school.
- To feedback during class assembly
WHO ARE THE ECO WARRIORS?
- We have two representatives per class in our Eco Warrior team. These representatives (one girl and one boy) are elected each year by their classmates.
- We elect a Chairperson and Secretary from our Year 6 pupils. Our new chairpersons will be announced in September 2019.
WHAT ARE OUR DUTIES?
- We are split into three groups - Recycle Detectives, Waste Watchers and Energy Enforcers.
RECYCLE DETECTIVES RESPONSIBILITIES
- Teaching your class how to use the green and red recycle bins in your class.
WASTE WATCHERS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensuring the correct use of the recycle bin in class.
- Checking taps in the school have been turned off.
- Advising children to reduce waste in the toilets for example: water, soap and blue paper towels.
- Checking resources are not being wasted for example: pens, glue, rulers and paper.
ENERGY ENFORCERS RESPONSIBILITIES
- Checking that lights around school are switched off if it is not needed.
- Ensuring that the projector for powering the Smart board is turned off if not in use.
- Closing the classroom door after exiting.
- Shutting outside door when leaving the classroom.
- Making sure windows are closed at the end of the day.
CRISP PACKET APPEAL FOR AIR AMBULANCE
As of Monday 4th November, Meopham Community Academy will be collecting crisp packets on behalf of Air Ambulance Kent Surrey and Sussex (AAKSS). One of our pupils in Year 4 alerted me to the scheme last week and told me that it had been instigated by AAKSS volunteer and fundraiser Adam Hunter and it gives us the chance to raise funds from our rubbish. By helping me co-ordinate this recycling scheme, Imogen will earn her eco badge with Brownies.
The children can bring them in from home or from their packed lunch boxes and empty them in to our crisp packet bin which is located in the main hall. The money raised, through recycling, goes to the Air Ambulance.
The scheme forms part of a recycling scheme set up by Terracycle and Walkers Crisps, although all brands of crisp packet can be accepted, including the multipack outer packaging.
Terracycle require a minimum of 8kg of crisp packets before we can send them off. This is equivalent to around 1, 400 packs; all you need to do is collect up your empty packets at home, at work or from packed lunch boxes, and send them in to school to start making a difference today!
For more information on this recycling scheme, why not visit the Air Ambulance website here:
Miss Bloor, Eco Warrior Co-ordinator
- Each term our Year 4 pupils take it in-turns to be daily litter pickers across our lunchtime sessions. The children cover all outside areas in the school.
- This activity raises the children's awareness of caring for our environment and promotes responsible citizenship.
Thanks to all new volunteers and thanks to the old ones! It certainly does make a difference.
Mrs Clarke and Miss Bloor, Eco-Warrior Co-ordinators