2017 - 2018
Our Eco Warriors and WOW Monitors
What are Eco Warriors?
- In Term 1 the children were introduced to Eco Schools in two assemblies and had the chance to stand for election as Eco Warriors, those chosen were presented with their badges in an assembly this term.
- We are looking forward to our first Eco School committee meeting where the elected Eco Warriors will present their plans for making our school more environmentally friendly; the meeting will be overseen by Mrs Clarke and Miss Bloor who will be providing support to the committee as they work towards the Bronze Award this year.
Why do we have Eco Warriors?
- We at Meopham Community Academy are really excited to embark on the Eco Schools Initiative; an international award programme that guides schools on their sustainable journey (see the link below for more information).
- Teaching our children the necessity of recycling and sustainability is more important than ever in the face of global warming and our world’s overdependence on fossil fuels.
- We hope instilling an attitude of environmental care and awareness at a young age will create good habits in young people that will have a positive effect at school, at home and in the wider community.
Who are the members?
- We have two representatives per class in our Eco Warrior team. These representatives (one girl and one boy) are elected each year by their classmates.
- We elect a Chairperson and Secretary from our Year 6 pupils. Our new chairpersons will be announced in September 2017.
Walk On Wednesday (WOW)
What is Walk On Wednesday (WOW)?
- Recently, the government have been raising awareness of children’s health through their NHS-backed Change4Life scheme – 'Eat Well, Move More, Live Longer' and through the introduction of the sugary drinks tax designed to reduce consumption of drinks with added sugar which have been linked to child obesity and poor dental heatlh. Further details of these recent government schemes can be found here
How will WOW work?
- The children who walk to school on Wednesdays will inform their teacher on Wednesday morning as they arrive in the classroom.
- The number of walkers in each class will be counted by our Eco–Warriors and converted to a percentage of the total class.
- All classes then have chance of winning a gold, silver or bronze certificate based on the percentage of walkers. These will be present in our Achievement Assembly every Monday. The results will be updated on a weekly basis and published on this page below as well as in our Latest News section.
WOW @ Meopham Community Academy
- At Meopham Community Academy we would like to raise awareness amongst the children of the health benefits of being more active during their day. Having run the WOW scheme in the past as a school, we feel the scheme contributes well to increasing our children's mobility.
- On Wednesday, we would also hope to see evidence of a reduction in traffic and parking congestion around the school gates as there would be less cars on the road. With this there would also be air-quality benefits around the school and localised area too.
- As a school we successfully ran the WOW scheme in the past and it proved popular with the children. Infact, the scheme was so successful that in 2014 (with great effort and commitment from our then Year 6 pupils) we won the 'Top WOW Team Award in Gravesham 2014.'. Check out the award ceremony here
KM Charity Team - Winners at Walk to School Awards
Which children will be counted as having 'walked'?
- Children walking to school from home
- Park-and-Stride - children driven to one of the car parks that school parents are authorised to use in the mornings and then walking the rest of the way to school. These car parks are Bartellas Restaurant car park and St John The Baptist Church Hall car park
- Children who have ridden a scooter/bike/skateboard etc to the school gates. Please note - parents will need to take these home after school drop-off as, unfortunately, we do not have the facilities to store these items on the school grounds. Please also note that for everybody's safety scooters/bikes/skateboards etc are not to be used on school grounds.