2019 - 2020
Our Pupil Council
What is the Pupil Council?
The Pupil Council is an important and integral part of school life at Meopham Community Academy. By allowing our children to express their views and have their opinions heard, we make sure that all children:
- have a voice in school matters and feel able to contribute their ideas
- are actively involved in their education
- have an opportunity to discuss their thoughts and feelings
When do they meet?
- We have our meetings once a month and they fit around the school timetable
- They usually last 30 minutes, depending on number of items on the agenda;
- All the representatives attend as well as Miss Searle (one of our class teachers) as an advisory member;
- The minutes of each meeting are then published on the school’s SharePoint in order that the wider school community can keep up to date with the achievements of the Pupil Council.;
What has the pupil council achieved in the past?
- Secured new play equipment for the playgrounds;
- Helped appoint new teaching staff through interviewing and feedback to our Senior Leadership Team and
- Suggested fun and exciting ideas for school fundraising.
Who are the members?
- We have two representatives per class on our Pupil Council. These representatives (one girl and one boy) are elected each year by their classmates.
- All candidates put forward for election have to give a short speech about why their class mates should vote for them and what they will do if they are elected.
- We elect two secondary (reserve) representatives in case of absence.
- We elect a Chairperson and a Secretary; these children are elected from our Year 6 pupil council members
What do they do?
The Class Representatives:
- listen carefully to others;
- attend meetings;
- make suggestions;
- bring ideas to share;
- take on additional responsibilities and
- give up their own free time.
Pupil Council Meeting Minutes
Next meeting will be in November 2020.